What shame? [Was: What a shame...]

Dave Cross dave at dave.org.uk
Thu Oct 26 11:28:16 BST 2006

Quoting Peter Hickman <peter.hickman at semantico.com>:

> I once had an application that allowed me to capture the streams of the
> John Peel show and save them as MP3s. I would then listen to them on my
> iPod on my way to work during the week. Then something changed and I
> could only listed to the streams on my computer, the time on the bus is
> the only time I get to listen to anything these days so I had to stop
> listening.
>
> The best thing recently (in 2005) was the Reith Lectures as MP3s, I was
> able to listen to those on the bus as well.
>
> I just cannot nail my life down to a schedule that Auntie dictates. I'm
> sure that there is mountains of quality listening available in the BBC
> but I will be damned if I can find out how to listen to it on my terms.

1/ Get stream URL from http://dave.org.uk/streams/
2/ Use mplayer/lame to convert Real stream to MP3[1]
3/ Listen to BBC output of your choice on iPod

Dave...

[1] Something like this I think:

mplayer -dumpstream -dumpfile $prog_file_name $stream_url
mplayer -ao pcm $prog_file_name
lame -h -v -b 112 audiodump.wav $prog_file_name.mp3

--
site: http://dave.org.uk/
blog: http://blog.dave.org.uk/