Designing database from scratch

Matt S Trout dbix-class at
Thu Oct 26 17:18:08 BST 2006

alex at wrote:
> Folks,
> I'm designing a database from scratch and want to progress from the "back
> of an envelope design". I'm thinking of using SQL Fairy eg
> I write an XML description of the SQL Schema
> SQL Fairy converts that to
>    MySQL SQL Code (typically create statements)
> and possibly
>    Class::DBI
> and definitely
>    GraphViz diagrams

I usually sketch briefly on the pad by my laptop, then knock out a set of
DBIx::Class classes and use the sqlt interfaces to generate diagrams and DDL
files. But I always find it easier to conceptually model stuff in code, this
may just be an artefact of the way my brain works.

Shadowcat Systems Ltd.  mst (at) for more information

+ Help us build a better perl ORM: +