RSS experiments

Luke Ross luke at lukeross.name
Mon Nov 6 09:53:56 GMT 2006

Hi,

On Sat, Nov 04, 2006 at 11:46:01AM +0000, Andrew Black (li) wrote:
> I am experimenting with XML::RSS to create an RSS feed.  Eventually I
> want to create a feed for what's new on a website but at this point I am
> just getting familiar.
>
> I am using Thunderbird as the client to read the feed.   If I change my
> server to generate different data the client isn't noticing the change.
> I am presuming that it thinks that my data is the same as what it has
> already seen. So my question is - how does the client recognise that
> items in the feed are new items.
> Any pointers would be welcome

I take it you're generating new IDs for the new items? I'm not sure
about Thunderbird, but in aKregator it assumes that the content for a
particular ID is fixed, and will not pick up changes to that item. I
tend to use a combination of the site name, table name and row ID
for the guid.

Regards,

Luke
--
Q - What warning was given by you?              A - Horn
Q - What warning was given by the other party?  A - Moo