[Fwd: Re: Javaspaces and perl]

alex@owal.co.uk alex at owal.co.uk
Tue Nov 7 15:47:59 GMT 2006

AlexMc (I) wrote:
> I am interested in using javaspaces (aka Jini) to distribute a loosely
coupled system across loads of machines. The basic idea is that I have
several machines put tasks into the space and have several machines read
out those tasks, do them, and put the results back into the space - or
maybe a database, or maybe generate more tasks.

"Aaron Trevena" responded:
What's the advantage of using JNI over xml/rpc?

Er, "Jini" is not "JNI". "Jini" is a way of distributing your system
across many machines and JNI is Java Native Interfaces.

Now - you may be telling me to do Jini using JNI but I'm not going to
unless someone else says they have done it and it worked :-)

However you did make an interesting suggestion. I could perhaps write a
Jini client which accesses a perl xml_rpc server. That is known technology
:-)
(I worked on an xml_rpc server at O2 which was originally written by
another London.pm person).

Alex