Syntax highlighting in Perl

Paul Johnson paul at pjcj.net
Sun Nov 12 22:39:26 GMT 2006

On Sun, Nov 12, 2006 at 04:07:28PM -0500, jesse wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 12, 2006 at 08:49:37PM +0000, Nik Clayton wrote:
> > Paul Johnson wrote:
> > >I think it was the last step that actually fixed the problem.  I think I
> > >had updated SVN::Web and the css/templates/something were incompatible,
> > >but I hadn't realised that.  Could that be right?  Is this likely to be
> > >a perennial problem?
> >
> > Did you follow the notes in UPDATING.pod?
> >
> >     http://search.cpan.org/~NIKC/SVN-Web-0.49/UPDATING.pod
>
> I did, only after I manually pulled down the distribution from CPAN and
> tried to dig through why it started to fail.   UPDATING.pod is...not the
> usual place to put things. Especially notes about "updating from CPAN
> will break all your live installs and you'll have to manually frob the
> config."  Usually, that's a mandatory-prompt question on install. But
> far better would be to bullet proof things to not hurt poor unsuspecting
> users.
>
> It'd be really wonderful if updating SVN::Web didn't break deployed
> installs in the future. It's...not a pleasant experience.

Yeah, I'll admit to never having read that file before, or at least to
not remembering having read it.  So ... what he said.  Especially the
last part, since I generally try to do all my installations
automatically.

But thanks for putting out new releases anyway :-)

And I am looking forward to the syntax highlighting.

Paul Johnson - paul at pjcj.net
http://www.pjcj.net