Syntax highlighting in Perl

Nik Clayton nik at ngo.org.uk
Mon Nov 13 12:39:07 GMT 2006

Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 10:14:52AM +0000, Nik Clayton wrote:
>> If you'd just downloaded this from CPAN, what would you like to happen
>> when you install it?  Just print warnings at build time?  Something else?
>
> I'd like everything to just work.  Perfectly.  Without me ever having to
> think about anything.
>
> And a pony.

Me too.

>> One change I'm considering making is to require a version number key in
>> config.yaml, something like:
>>
>>    version: 0.50
>>
>> Then, if you try and use a newer version of SVN::Web with an older
>> config file it can easily detect this, and generate an error page
>> pointing you at the documentation for updating.  Obviously, that's a
>> run-time check rather than a build time check, but would that be sufficient?
>
> For me that would be sufficient.  Not ideal, but a lot better than
> things are now.

OK.  I'll add that.

> Do you expect that the templates and stuff will change (almost) every
> release?

Yes.  Although there are two kinds of changes -- changes that just
affect the look and feel, and changes that affect the data that's passed
to the template for display.

The former are much easier to deal with than the latter.

> Or, might it be possible to fall back to the default templates, which
> would be hidden somewhere in the installation, if the templates haven't
> been altered?  This would mean that I would only need config.yaml in my
> svnweb directory, and I'd automatically get the updated templates etc.

That's what happens with .po files now (in 0.50 the po/ directory isn't
created by svnweb-install any more).  That generally works, as they
change much less frequently.

It'll probably work for templates, although I don't have much
information on whether anyone's ever bothered making significant local
alterations to the templates.

I'll do some testing.