abuse@ and postmaster@ in the modern world?

Peter Hickman peter.hickman at semantico.com
Fri Nov 17 16:20:10 GMT 2006

Toby Corkindale wrote:
> How do you deal with this annoyance? Or do you just let them hurl themselves
> ineffectively at your passwords, safe in the knowledge that they're about 20
> characters long, and there's no way they'll have guessed it, even after 9000
> attempts.
>
> Toby

I am assuming that the machines that are trying to brute force my sshd
(most of them are) are compromised so I firewall them. There is no
reason why these machines might not switch to attacking my machine via
some other exploit so I take the safe route and ban them once I know
that they are untrustworthy. Trouble is that, unlike people trying to
access FTP and mail services that I do not run or people trying to hack
my apache server, their numbers seem to be ever increasing.

No one has tried to hack my apache server in months, my non existent FTP
and mail servers get hit once a week. However I am firewalling 10 to 50
new addresses a day for trying to brute force my sshd.

It's quite worrying.

--
Peter Hickman.

Semantico, Lees House, 21-23 Dyke Road, Brighton BN1 3FE
t: 01273 722222
f: 01273 723232
e: peter.hickman at semantico.com
w: www.semantico.com