abuse@ and postmaster@ in the modern world?

Toby Corkindale tjc at wintrmute.net
Fri Nov 17 17:05:49 GMT 2006

On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 04:42:23PM +0000, Andy Armstrong wrote:
> On 17 Nov 2006, at 16:20, Peter Hickman wrote:
> >No one has tried to hack my apache server in months, my non
> >existent FTP and mail servers get hit once a week. However I am
> >firewalling 10 to 50 new addresses a day for trying to brute force
> >my sshd.
> >
> >It's quite worrying.
> Here's my current crop. I like the idea of them banging away at port
> 22 with absolutely no hope of getting anywhere :)

Hmm. pam_abl allows people to continue to *try* to login, albeit automatically
failing them.

I think I'd rather just block 'em and stop them filling up my logfiles..
I received 7088 in about 24 hours on one machine a few days ago.. and amidst
that junk, there could be something more important that would go amiss.

that sshblack looks good though.. might try that out.

Turning and turning in the widening gyre/The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart, the centre cannot hold/Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world
(gpg --keyserver www.co.uk.pgp.net --recv-key B1CCF88E)