abuse@ and postmaster@ in the modern world?

Toby Corkindale tjc at wintrmute.net
Fri Nov 17 17:05:49 GMT 2006

On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 04:42:23PM +0000, Andy Armstrong wrote:
> On 17 Nov 2006, at 16:20, Peter Hickman wrote:
> >No one has tried to hack my apache server in months, my non
> >existent FTP and mail servers get hit once a week. However I am
> >firewalling 10 to 50 new addresses a day for trying to brute force
> >my sshd.
> >
> >It's quite worrying.
>
> Here's my current crop. I like the idea of them banging away at port
> 22 with absolutely no hope of getting anywhere :)

[snip]

Hmm. pam_abl allows people to continue to *try* to login, albeit automatically
failing them.

I think I'd rather just block 'em and stop them filling up my logfiles..
I received 7088 in about 24 hours on one machine a few days ago.. and amidst
that junk, there could be something more important that would go amiss.

that sshblack looks good though.. might try that out.

Toby

--
Turning and turning in the widening gyre/The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart, the centre cannot hold/Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world