Combination of skills - was [JOB] Perl & VB person, central London

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Mon Nov 20 14:12:53 GMT 2006

On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 12:43:29PM +0000, Pete Sergeant wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 12:39:53PM +0000, Denny wrote:
> > > I guess I'd be quite surprised to find out anyone I'd consider a
> > > serious programmer hadn't been curious enough to poke around inside
> > > it with VB a little bit.
> > What's the motivation?
> Curiousity? Wanting to know what it can do, what it's capable of, and if
> there's potential to build something interesting from it? I guess things
> like that are over-rated in potential programmers these days, and people
> are just interested in programming as a career :-(

There are lots of other things to be curious about, and unlike being
curious about Word and Excel, those other things will help me solve the
sort of problems that I have to solve.  Word and Excel are utterly
useless to me, apart from for exchanging documents with Windows users.

--
David Cantrell | Plucky Speeding Law Madness Protestor

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity
    -- Hanlon's Razor

Stupidity maintained long enough is a form of malice
    -- Richard Bos's corollary