Combination of skills - was [JOB] Perl & VB person, central London

Jess Robinson castaway at desert-island.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 21 13:32:00 GMT 2006

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006, Andrew Black wrote:

> Andrew Black wrote:
>>  Earle Martin wrote:
>> >  We're looking for a perl hacker to help out with various ad hoc
>> >  perl / Excel / VB / scripts
>>
>>  Interesting combination of skills - not sure I would wish to admit to
>>  doing all these to the same person :-)
>
> As the starter of this rather interesting sub-thread, I will admit on
> rereading I was suffering either from pedantry or obtuseness.  Most other
> posters have interpreted VB as VBA.  I might grudgingly admit to having used
> VBA, but rather less so since I discovered you can drive MS products from a
> programming language better known to readers of this list.  Whereas VB is
> (IMHO) only used by dyed in the wall Gates loving MS-ers.

Nope, I worked on/with VB, VBA and Perl in the same job for a number of
years.. The client and frontend tools were in VB/VBA (an excel xla plugin
and other bits), and the backend ran on a sizable db2 database with perl
scripts and C thingies.

I've never been a dyed in the w(ool|all) MS-er.. but what you get paid to
do, you get paid todo.. it was cushy, well paid and not very hard..

Jess