FW: Combination of skills - was [JOB] Perl & VB person, central London

McGlinchy, Alistair Alistair.McGlinchy at marks-and-spencer.com
Tue Nov 21 16:41:43 GMT 2006

Paul Makepeace opined:
> On 11/20/06, Roger Burton West <roger at firedrake.org> wrote:
> >
> > Well, I could learn how to use this blunt rusty screwdriver that's
> > been buried in a manure pile for twenty years, but I think instead
> > I'll play with the shiny new full toolkit I got free and see what I
> > can do with _that_. Sorry Pete.

> It's perhaps a shame this prejudice has kept you from learning about
> one of the most powerful apps every written, Excel.

Couldn't agree more Perl + Excel + TextPad == Uber Power.

However can anyone name a single aspect of Excel since Office 97 that
has actually improved things?  I can list many things that have broken
since Office 97 (eg X-Y graphs built straight from pivot tables works in
97 but not 2002)  and tonnes of extra kludge and wizards you can't turn
off.

Yet another Office release is due soon and MS is openly admitting that
power Excel users have no desire to change [*]. There's nothing in there
for me other than killing productivity by changing key-strokes and
requiring me to port my suite of VBA "bug fixes". (Eg, sensible column
width resizing, pivot table formatting, Auto CSV Column formatting etc,
saving CSV files without three "OK" key presses..)

Cheers

Alistair

[*] http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6165124.stm

Registered Office:
Marks and Spencer plc
Waterside House
35 North Wharf Road
London
W2 1NW

Registered No. 214436 in England and Wales.

Telephone (020) 7935 4422
Facsimile (020) 7487 2670

<<www.marksandspencer.com>>

2005