Email::Store::Attachment - my losing battle

Christopher Jones c.jones at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Dec 1 14:43:34 GMT 2006

Not a PostgreSQL user, and not a techy - so take everything I say with
a pinch of salt!

But googling didn't satisfy me that it does - on the guide I found,
there was no sign of a type called 'BLOB'. And it didn't seem that the
bytea type is equivalent.

Maybe someone who knows/understands more than me can explain!

Chris

On 1 Dec 2006, at 10:25, Toby Corkindale wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 03:37:17PM +0000, Christopher Jones wrote:
>> I would guess don't use PostgreSQL to store binary objects, use an
>> engine that supports a proper BLOB field, like MySQL.
>
> But.. PostgreSQL does support blobs??
> (Says someone who has metric tonne of video, jpeg, etc blobs in their
> Pg db)

>>> alter table attachment drop column payload;
>>> alter table attachment add column payload bytea;
>>> # alter message id
>>>
>>> Same error. I'll have to dig deeper I think ... where's Matt Lawrence
>>> when
>>> you need him? ;-)
>>>
>>> Chisel
>>> --
>>> Chisel Wright
>>> e: chisel at herlpacker.co.uk
>>> w: http://www.herlpacker.co.uk/
>>>
>>>  We never decided to postpone this issue.
>>>  We just agreed that we would deal with other issues first.
>>>

> --
> Turning and turning in the widening gyre/The falcon cannot hear the
> falconer;
> Things fall apart, the centre cannot hold/Mere anarchy is loosed upon
> the world
> (gpg --keyserver www.co.uk.pgp.net --recv-key B1CCF88E)

UCL Translational Research Laboratory
Windeyer Institute