Search CPAN with Google

Andy Armstrong andy at
Mon Dec 18 12:05:01 GMT 2006

I've just been playing with a Google Co-op search of CPAN:

It certainly doesn't beat all the time - but for some
queries the fact that the Google search goes deeper pays off.

CPAN's big enough that the quality of the search interface is
critical - for most people it's the primary interface. I've certainly
had cases where the search has missed modules that I've subsequently
discovered indirectly - mentioned on a mailing list or in someone
else's code.

I imagine it might be politically sensitive to add a Google powered
search to - but I'd certainly have found it useful in
the past.

Andy Armstrong,