CPAN modules on non net attached machine

Mark Overmeer mark at overmeer.net
Fri Dec 22 10:07:05 GMT 2006

* Leo Lapworth (leo at cuckoo.org) [061222 07:31]:
> On 22/12/06, Andrew Black <andrew-li at black1.org.uk> wrote:
> >I want to install some CPAN modules on a machine that is not directly
> >connected to the net. I can FTP files onto the the machine but it can't
> >see external HTTP or FTP servers.
>
> You could use CPAN::Mini to get the latest versions of everything
> onto your machine with external web access, then FTP that over to the
> machine without (all of CPAN is about 600 Megs - could just
> fit it on a CD if you needed).
>
> Then you point CPAN.pm to use the local copy.

It may be a good idea to see whether we can combine the CPAN::Mini
features with CPAN::Site, into more like a "CPAN distribution" idea.
Anyone interested to experiment with that?

With CPAN::Site (which I recently re-developed), you can keep your
own modules to your local server.  The installation tools will
first check that repository before going to CPAN.  Fairly simple.
--
Regards,
               MarkOv

       Mark at Overmeer.net                          solutions at overmeer.net