[JOB] Perl developer (front-end web devel) (London) from 34k

Luis Motta Campos luismottacampos at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Dec 25 03:50:34 GMT 2006

--- Simon Cozens <simon at simon-cozens.org> wrote:
> I don't think it's entirely fair to blame HR. HR
will probably ask the team
> what they use, and the team, being made up of
programmers, will reply in
> overspecified and excruciating detail. So HR will
try and find people who can
> do what the team uses, which basically what HR is
for.

> It is not HR's job to know which Perl libraries are
essential knowledge and
> which can be picked up in a few hours; I think you'd
probably agree that if HR
> all started learning lots of Perl, they'd be very,
very dangerous. Instead> it's
> the team's responsibility to filter out the
non-essentials and only describe the
> essentials when specifying what they use. And we're
not very good at doing that.

  I could easyly agree with you, Simon, but HR teams
specialize in programmers / analysts and software
engineers in Brazil (and also in Portugal), and they
tend to have access to much more information than
this.

On the other hand, they actually do have access to
people in this market, not only as candidates, but
also as contacts (I'm a contact for a well-know HR
person in Brazil and actually do pass lots of
information to her). This makes it possible to them to
build knowledge to filter out that non-essential
information about libraries, for example, and this
could potentially makes them spend less money
(publishing shorter advertisements for jobs) and also
recruit better, as they know about the job and also
are able to filter some of the over-specified and
over-detailed information.

I do blame HR for not working the best they could. But
this can be mis-interpretation, and I can be wrong. I
just need someone able to explain this to me in a
convincing way ;-)
--
Luis Motta Campos
Perl Programmer, Hobbyist Cook and Photographer