[JOB] Perl developer (front-end web devel) (London) from 34k

Andy Wardley abw at wardley.org
Wed Dec 27 11:42:22 GMT 2006

Jonathan Stowe wrote:
> I'm curious about this as I have been seeing it quite a lot recently,
> and mostly I might add with similar perl-for-the-web sort of stuff.

I think you've hit the nail on the head with that phrase.  The ad was
saying in a roundabout way:

   "We're looking for a Perl-for-the-web sort of person".

Rather than, say, a Perl-for-systems-administration, or
Perl-for-bioinformatics sort of person.

 From that perspective, "Class::DBI", "TT" and "Catalyst" are no more
than an arbitrary selection of keywords (or tags if you want to get
all Web 2.0 about it) chosen to help match the right kind of people with
the right kind of jobs.  I wouldn't place too much significance on them.

Totally agree with what you say, though.  It doesn't matter what particular
skills the right person has, because the right person will quickly learn
new ones.