An interesting problem

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Wed Jan 3 21:02:09 GMT 2007

On 3 Jan 2007, at 20:51, Andy Armstrong wrote:
[...]
> I'm still thinking optimisations on a brute force approach here -
> it'd be much nicer to think of a clever algorithm - but I'm coming
> up blank and I don't think the beer's helping as much as I'd hoped :)

Something in the back of my head is nagging d2x/dy2 to find
interesting minima and maxima, but I'm not quite sure how or whether
it might be useful for this particular problem.

The stated problem is a bit too abstract to offer any good
optimisations. What is the real nature of the data, I wonder...