Fwd: [Gllug] software patent petition

ben@bpfh.net ben at bpfh.net
Fri Jan 5 13:57:51 GMT 2007

On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 01:13:10AM -0800, Stray Taoist wrote:

>A fine petition, but not really about patents. Not that there is anything
>wrong with patents </only-a-little-bit-troll-as-I-work-for-an-IP-company>

Yawn.

Or did you want to try and defend the position that open source software
should have been unable to process image formats such as, oooh, GIF until
last year?

(NB: Anyone who wants to claim that software patents do not reduce to the
above position will have to do better than the specious, speculative argument
that: "The patent would have spurred someone to come up with something
better to work around the patent").

Ben