Aaaagh spam

Nicholas Clark nick at ccl4.org
Tue Jan 9 21:52:42 GMT 2007

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 09:35:23PM +0000, Roger Burton West wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 09:25:00PM +0000, Nicholas Clark wrote:
>
> >What surprises me is that so many spammers *don't* install SA and tune their
> >spam against it (and any other freely available spam filtering code)
>
> Why should they bother? As long as the message goes out to the X million
> addresses their sucker clients asked for, they get paid.

Because some of them are very sophisticated. The spamware has gone from
scripting language to compile languages, it's multithreaded, it tries hard
to record which addresses went through, it's now generating unique (per
message) image spam on the zombie machine. Much effort goes into actually
getting the things through.

> Or should I say, as long as their sucker clients _believe_ the message
> goes out to etc...

I suspect that a fair chunk have a very good idea of what gets through.
Well, far more than the percentage that get past spamassassin. That's my
point. Hence why I'm confused.

Nicholas Clark