[OT] Gentoo emerge --configure

Raf rafiq at dreamthought.com
Mon Jan 15 10:18:00 GMT 2007

Morning Ladies and gentle people.

I'm hoping that some of you are gentoo users.  Gentoo has a packaging
system which is a little like BSD ports and pulls sources, and compiles
them.  As far as I can tell it seems to expose certain options (with-<lib>
type options)  to you via 'USE' flags.  Now I'm trying to emerge (build)
the dev-lang/perl (perl 5.8.8) package on a box and I want to pass
configure the architecture type with --arch, however I'm not sure how to
(or if it is possible to) pass additional configure options.

At present it's building with --arch i386, which seems to prevent emerging
the DBI package.  Thus, I was hoping to force it to arch=i686.  I've tried
emerge -vp to see the exposed USE options, but none of them seem to affect
the architecture.

Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome?

Cheers,

Raf