AUTOLOAD

Dirk Koopman djk at tobit.co.uk
Tue Jan 16 14:36:11 GMT 2007

Andy Armstrong wrote:
> On 16 Jan 2007, at 13:43, bah at longitude.com wrote:
>>> Specifically, a child's AUTOLOAD will block a parent's AUTOLOAD, and
>>> there is no convention for passing AUTOLOAD requests between AUTOLOADs
>>> (equivalent of the ->SUPER::* or ->NEXT::* invocations for passing
>>> ordinary method calls up the inheritance tree).
>>
>> That's not to say that it isn't possible.  Check XML::Generator's
>> "STACKED
>> AUTOLOADs".
>
> Of course it's possible. As already mentioned on this thread Class::Std
> implements a solution to the problem too. The point is that there's no
> *standard* way to percolate unhandled AUTOLOADs up the inheritance
> chain. If you allow for the possibility of multiple inheritance it's not
> entirely trivial to do either.

Er.. are you sure? AFAIK AUTOLOAD will simply use the *standard*
inheritance rules as documented in perloo et al.

Not that I have tried it ever (because I don't generally need to go
there) but why can one not call SUPER::AUTOLOAD? AUTOLOAD is just a
method (albeit a special one with an extra calling convention) after all?