Freecycle for (interesting) old computers?

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Tue Jan 23 10:58:18 GMT 2007

On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 03:26:37AM +0000, Jacqui Caren wrote:
> Andy Armstrong wrote:
[...]
>> I've got a 400Mhz G4 Mac that I use for all sorts of testing here. It
>> runs Mac OS X surprisingly well.

I'm rather attached to my 500MHz G4, although it's starting to look a bit
long in the tooth compared to something like a Mac Mini. (The day-to-day Mac
is a MacBook Pro but PCI cards don't seem to fit in it...)

> There is a G4 on the floor behind me - I think 300MHz - I was
> asked to "clean it" - to me this means install linux :-)

Tiger runs quite nicely on them provided they have enough memory: aim for at
least 512MB. I've got a slowly-dwindling stash of memory for G3 and G4
PowerMacs if anybody needs some. (I've got some for even old machines too.)