Sybase

ben@bpfh.net ben at bpfh.net
Fri Feb 2 02:56:15 GMT 2007

On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 01:38:13AM +0000, Pete Sergeant wrote:
>I keep seeing banking jobs that require 'Sybase'.
>
>I'd assume they mean "Using Perl with Sybase's Adaptive Server
>Enterprise". Is that right?

Yes, also writing Sybase stored procs. Tbh, experience with another DB
to a decent level of understanding (say the role of the query planner and how
indices work) will probably do you.

>If so, anyone have any recommendations for training companies who might
>be able to give me such a skill...

You do know that Sybase has a free-as-in-beer for personal use edition,
right? You could have a play with that at home.

Also: The dialect of SQL that Sybase speaks is almost identical to that which
MS SQL Server speaks (being as how they are descended from the same codebase).

Ben