Module::Starter[::PBP

Chisel Wright chisel at herlpacker.co.uk
Thu Feb 8 11:53:18 GMT 2007

Morning all!!

I was wondering if anyone uses Module::Starter et al currently. I used
it a lot in the past, without any trouble.

I've recently had cause to use it again at work ... only to be hit by
unexpected problems/errors.

I was just wondering if anyone else was seeing this, or if I need to
spend a day [or more] digging through things.

The steps I've taken to see the problem:

  perl -MModule::Starter::PBP=setup
  module-starter --module=Foo::Bar
  cd Foo-Bar/
  perl Makefile.PL
  make
  make test
  make dist

The two errors in summary:

  Error:  Global symbol "$VERSION" requires explicit package name at
  /tmp/Foo-Bar/blib/lib/Foo/Bar.pm line 7.

This can be fixed by adding "our", although I'm not sure why the module is
generated starting at 0.0.3. POD still says 0.0.1.

The other error that I'm not sure about is:

 $ make dist
 rm -rf Foo-Bar-v0.0.3
 /usr/bin/perl "-MExtUtils::Manifest=manicopy,maniread" \
                -e "manicopy(maniread(),'Foo-Bar-v0.0.3', 'best');"
 mkdir Foo-Bar-v0.0.3
 -e: META.yml not found at -e line 1
 Can't read META.yml: No such file or directory
 make: *** [create_distdir] Error 2

I can provide full output if it's required. Potentially useful version
numbers of modules are:

[version] 0.680
[Module::Starter] 1.42
[Module::Starter::PBP] 0.000003