Let's organise a free teach-in

Simon Cozens simon at simon-cozens.org
Tue Feb 13 13:42:28 GMT 2007

OK, it's a million-monkeys-to-one shot but it just might work...

So this morning, we were all sitting around on the IRC channel, bitching that
all the employers seem to want senior Perl programmers but none of them are
sufficiently interested in people to invest in them. What we need, we said, is
Perl training. OK, then, I said.

Since I'm not otherwise engaged - or at least, I am but not with things I
can't get out of - I'm prepared to do something about this, if we can get
something together before I leave for Japan (around 20th March). If we can
find a venue and advertise it far and wide, I'm happy to give a day or two of
my time to provide free Perl tuition for beginners and intermediates. I've
copied Ovid because it might make sense for TPF to help us with the venue
costs, to make it totally free at the point of use. It sounds like a
worthwhile advocacy thing for them.

However, I know TPF tend to move slowly and majestically, so perhaps this
idea came too late for them; if anyone knows of any companies who would
benefit from a larger recruitment pool and actually has some cash to back this
up, let me know and we'll see if we can get some sponsorship set up.

The other thing I'm not sure about is how to ensure that this is free and
accessible to all, while at the same time filtering out those who don't know
end of a computer from the other. Perhaps just advertise it to HR and IT
managers?

--
* DrForr digs around for a fresh IV drip bag and proceeds to hook up.
<dngor> Coffee port.