[OT] Mac Wireless Problems

Chris Devers cdevers at pobox.com
Mon Feb 26 02:15:03 GMT 2007

On Feb 25, 2007, at 4:00 PM, Dave Hodgkinson wrote:

> On 25 Feb 2007, at 15:40, Dave Cross wrote:
>> But this is the old access point that I'm talking about. The one
>> that I've had for years. The one that this Mac has always been
>> happy to connect to.
>
> I have heard of reports of basestation decay over time. Spending
> the £60
> on something less annoying with a higher gizmometer(tm) factor is
> probably
> less grief.

I have too, but I'm not sure I believe it or not.

I talked to a guy who explained that the circuity on certain network
hardware -- he cited cable modems and wireless base stations in
particular -- is prone to burn-in over time, as commonly used
pathways on the circuit board get etched in and the logic gates stop
working properly.

Lending some credence to the idea, he was an electrical engineer from
MIT, so he was in a much better position to be talking about such
things than I am.

On the other hand, I'd never heard anyone else claim such things
before, making me a bit skeptical.

On the gripping hand, when he was speaking more at a level I'm
comfortable with -- software & more general hardware -- he seemed
reasonable enough.

*shrug*

I've had the same DSL modem for about 5 years now and it still seems
fine; my dad seems to go through a new cable modem every year. Maybe
there's something to it...

--
Chris Devers