[OT] Mac Wireless Problems

Chris Devers cdevers at pobox.com
Mon Feb 26 18:59:37 GMT 2007

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007, Peter Corlett wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 25, 2007 at 09:15:03PM -0500, Chris Devers wrote:
> [...]
> > I've had the same DSL modem for about 5 years now and it still seems
> > fine; my dad seems to go through a new cable modem every year. Maybe
> > there's something to it...
>
> Stuff doesn't misbehave when the BOFH is keeping an eye on it. You
> need to tell your dad to stick a picture of you next to the router so
> it thinks it's being watched.

:-)

Except that, in my case, "keeping an eye on it" just meant "set it up on
top of the bookshelf and then basically forget that the device exists".

As far as I can tell, that's roughly what he's doing as well...

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007, David Cantrell wrote:

> That sounds to me like the sort of failure you get from driving cheap
> hardware too hard.  ie, pretty much exactly what I'd expect from
> modern consumer electronics.
>
> [...]
>
> Pretty much exactly the same thing came up a few days ago on an
> electronics list I'm on.  It's not that the gates "get stuck" but the
> pathways to them eventually vapourise cos they're being worked too
> hard. [...]

That makes sense.

> The only other thing to check might be if there's some ARP caching
> badness.  Power-cycle the access point, leaving it off for a couple of
> minutes to make sure it forgets.  Also reboot the Mac, and before
> bringing the access point back up, check (using Netinfo Manager) if
> there's any ARP crap being stored.

This makes less sense.

Netinfo Manager?

I don't see any particular state info in there on this machine, nor
would I expect there to be. Not much lives in there any more...

Did you maybe mean Network Utility?

--
Chris Devers
DO NOT LEAVE IT IS NOT REAL