The Free Love-, er, Teach-In

Luis Motta Campos luismottacampos at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 12 13:35:50 GMT 2007

On Mar 12, 2007, at 1:26 PM, Dave Cross wrote:
> Quoting Dave Hodgkinson <davehodg at gmail.com>:
>> Turning scripters into programmers and journeyman programmers into
>> star engineers.
>
> Well, yes. Actually in conversation on Thursday we came up with
> about four subtly different courses - all of which could be useful
> to different groups of people.
>
> The question is really which one would be the best one to choose
> for the first free course that we give.
>
> Personally, I'm leaning towards something that is largely "Advanced
> Perl Programming" with large side orders of "Perl Best Practices",
> "Mastering Perl" and "The Pragmatic Programmer".
>
> Might be a bit much for a one day course tho' :-/

   Or maybe not.

   I'm pretty sure that you can give them some homework (the only
true form of learning something is trying to actually DO something).
And this homework could be submitted to a specific email address
provided by Ovid, who can grab good contacts from it as a nice and
desirable collateral effect.

   Deep-fry theyr brains into good perl programming techniques for
the whole day, and make them send homework to an email address
specially setted up to Ovid, who will check the homework and publish
corrections a few days later, besides having contacts with all
interested participants and having the opportunity of offering a job
to some of them. Questions could be asked at the London-PM list and
answered by everybody (I'm a volunteer). Everybody earns something,
and the class will succeed.

   Well, just my 0.02€ of optimism...
--
Luis Motta Campos (a.k.a. Monsieur Champs) is a software engineer,
perl fanatic evangelist, and amateur {cook, photographer}