I'd rather not get deported, thank you

Nicholas Clark nick at ccl4.org
Mon Mar 12 17:31:55 GMT 2007

On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 10:05:24AM -0700, Ovid wrote:

Oh crap. You really don't deserve this.

> wrong and I rely on it.  (I'm about to contact the Citizen's Advice
> Bureau, but any other suggestions are welcome)

I would suggest them, but you're already doing so.

I suspect that the law that may protect you is "Transfer of Undertakings"
(which I think is at least one UK law drafted to comply with EU requirements)
but even if you're able to locate the right parts of that, it may (sadly)
take a real immigration lawyer to know how it interacts with the Home
Office's rules on work permits.

In the traditional world, one would assume that a purchaser would be keen to
buy the ongoing business, and that that would include the staff. But I
guess that in the world of ISPs, the purchaser might be budgeting on
integrating and supporting the customers on their existing systems and
staff, without needing more.

Nicholas Clark