I'd rather not get deported, thank you

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Tue Mar 13 11:34:34 GMT 2007

On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 06:01:45PM -0700, Ovid wrote:
[...]
> Because my employment is tied to Pipex Ltd. If the division I work for is
> not Pipex Ltd, or they choose another name, my work permit is no longer
> valid.

There's some law that treats it as continuous employment for the same
company if you're just transferred as part of the company assets. When I was
working for NomiNation, it was "sold" to CentralNic and I got a letter all
about this transfer that basically said not to worry.

(As far as I could tell, the only thing that changed for me was the company
name and VAT number in the LaTeX templates I wrote, and the colour of the
paper I would load into the printer when I did a billing run.)

So, I would assume that a work permit transfers in the same place. Of
course, I'm not the one who will be deported if the assumption is wrong, so
I recommend you double-check, but it seems the most sensible approach.

Of course, whoever buys Pipex may subsequently decide that they no longer
need your services anyway.