Devel::Cover recommendations... or maybe not?

Marvin Humphrey marvin at rectangular.com
Wed Mar 14 16:23:58 GMT 2007

On Mar 14, 2007, at 8:18 AM, Luis Motta Campos wrote:

> The POD scares everybody, stating clearly "this is alfa code". It's
> almost like saying "go away" what is pretty strange for an open-
> source module...

:(

It's very frustrating to read that.

Perl provides no sensible mechanism for deprecation or major version
incrementing, and because compile-time and run-time are not
separated, compile-time errors cause immediate run-time errors.
Faced with that situation, if you are the author of a CPAN library
that may break backwards compatibility at any time in the future, the
most responsible thing to do is declare your code perpetually
"alpha", regardless of stability.

I've had such a warning on KinoSearch since it was first released.
It does not translate to "go away".

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/