[OT]: Syslog issues?

Nik Clayton nik at ngo.org.uk
Wed Mar 21 15:42:32 GMT 2007

Luis Motta Campos wrote:
>   We have a very busy apache farm producing 40Gb of log files everyday,
> and no centralized logging facility.
>   We're considering using syslog (or better, syslog-ng) to concentrate
> all logs on a single spot, so we can handle, parse, and summarize all
> information for human and machine consumption.
>
>   The problem is making sure we have enough hardware to not loose
> messages and enough bandwidth to guarantee that every message gets
> properly delivered to the logging server without problems.

    http://www.splunk.com/

Set it up to be your syslog data sink.  You could:

a) Log to local files, and then ship the files over the network to a
Splunk instance.

b) Log remotely direct to splunk (it'll act as a syslog sink).  You
might have reliability issues with the syslog bit.

c) Log remotely, using mod_log_spread, and then get the data in to splunk.