[OT]: Syslog issues?

paddy@panici.net paddy at panici.net
Thu Mar 22 10:33:27 GMT 2007

On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 10:24:06AM +0100, Luis Motta Campos wrote:
> On Mar 21, 2007, at 5:21 PM, paddy at panici.net wrote:
> >If he's gonna log 40GB/day over the network, then he needs the network
> >capacity for that.
>
>   Does it means a separated network for this?

I would be surprised if it did.

> >Is writing 500KB/s to disk such a big issue ?
>
>   The problem is quering the data afterwards: it's spread across my
> farm (very small at this moment - 12 servers only, but it will grow
> up fast).

exactly my next point: it's about the analysis, writing a stream of data
is easy.

> >I would have thought the analysis part would be a bigger
> >consideration.
> >
> >I've never used any of them, but IIRC there are few implementations
> >out
> >there to log from apache over the network to something like mysql or
> >perhaps postgres.
>
>   Again, there are two different data streams being logged to the
> same files: apache log data, that is expected; my application data
> (that never should be there, I'm working on this now).
>
>   Thanks for you considerations!

I've got say the Splunk suggestion reawakened my curiousity about that,
I had the briefest glance back when they were making a fanfare through
slashdot.  If I had your problem I would definitely take a quick look
at that

Regards,
Paddy