London.pm Meeting - April 4th

Simon Wistow simon at thegestalt.org
Tue Mar 27 16:55:29 BST 2007

On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 05:38:00PM +0200, Richard Foley said:
> Excuse me?
>
> They want to charge you for the privilige of buying beer from them...?!

They want to charge for reserving space. Quite a few pubs do - if they
reserve the space and no-one turns up then they lose money obviously.
or, alternatively, if we say there are 30 people who are going to turn
up and they bring in extra staff to cover and we don't turn up then
they're out of pocket.

The alternative is that we just turn up and colonise an area but I'm
loathe to do that because it often leads to a fragmented meeting which
is bad. Also, and this from the point of view of a habitual ex
bar-tender, if you're expecting a nice quiet Thursday night and there's
just the two of you behind the bar and suddenly 20-40 thirsty mongers
turn up it turns out to be a bit of a mare.

A couple of places have charged us deposits (only very, very rarely
though) which has its own complications but is slightly more amenable.

Simon