The day after the first Wednesday of every month - was Re: London.pm Meeting - April 5th

Jacqui caren jacqui.caren at ntlworld.com
Thu Mar 29 10:18:24 BST 2007

Luis Motta Campos wrote:
> On Mar 28, 2007, at 6:59 PM, Jacqui caren wrote:
>> I was about to agree with you and then realised I dislike && and ||
>> as they are so similar visually to bitwise ops.
>
>   I agree. It reads more easyly for me as "and" and "or" that are
> intuitive, DWIM, low precedence operators.
>
>   If you want to use parentesis, code Lisp ;-)

Almost 30% of the bugs I used to find in code were due to things like
bad precedence. Only bad data scoping was worse - there are *still*
quite a few "perl4" coders out there :-(

The fact is people are human - they make mistakes - even the best - and
precedence is one area where parens help explicitly state what you are
trying to do. For complex tests parens are IMHO (often) a must for
maintainable code.

Jacqui