Random side project

Kake L Pugh kake at earth.li
Sat Apr 7 03:08:45 BST 2007

On Fri 06 Apr 2007, Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk> wrote:
> Yahoo!'s mapping stuff appears to be rather US-centric. It doesn't
> understand UK postcodes, and you have to stick ", UK" on the end of
> your search. The mapping widget also doesn't always render all the
> pubs that are in the source data.

I tried:
 - "Bermondsey, UK" (no response, not even an error message, as before)
 - "Westminster, UK" (a response, yay!  But it sent me to America)

> I was going to toss it and use Google instead.

Sounds like a good plan.  OpenGuides uses the Google API - Google data too,
in many cases, though Chris Schmidt is using free data for the Boston one:
  http://boston.openguides.org/

I do kind of like the thing that Yahoo maps does when you zoom out -
it pulls the rectangle of your current view in towards the middle of
the screen and reduces it to the size it'll be at your new zoom level.
(Although it also does it when you zoom in, which is kind of
disorienting.)

Ooh, and I only just realised that you have pubs all over the UK on
that thing.  I'd thought they were personal ratings, but this now
seems implausible - is it from Beer in the Evening or something?

Kake