[ANNOUNCE]: Hackathon Toronto Sat Apr 28

Chris Devers cdevers at pobox.com
Wed Apr 11 19:30:07 BST 2007

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007, John Costello wrote:

> That might explain why Google Maps tells drivers from New York City to
> Dublin to first go to France take the chunnel into England.  Much
> easier than dropping onto the small roads of western Ireland.

My favorite is trying to plan routes around the Boston Harbor Islands:

Note that:

    * The two islands in question are about 2000 feet apart.

    * The proposed route is 31.7 miles, in a big circle.

    * The start point is the nearest land to George's Island, but
getting there is a swim perhaps four times farther than a straight
line to Lovell Island would have been.

    * The end point is a random spot in the water about 3000 feet
north of Lovell Island, which (again) is longer & more complex than
it would have been to just make a straight line.

   * No sane person with any care at all for their health would want to
go for a swim anywhere in Boston Harbor.

Chris Devers