[OT] external drives

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Sat Apr 21 18:20:40 BST 2007

On 21 Apr 2007, at 17:56, Nigel Rantor wrote:
> So, I've been searching to find out which external hard drives /
> enclosures are compatible with Linux.

All of the ones that are USB mass-storage devices will work on Linux.

> Any mongers got recommendations for or against specific products?

Avoid Belkin and Maxtor. They will work, but the products are crap.

I tend to use Seagate or Western Digital drives in any old cheap
enclosure I can get my paws on. The last batch were Icy Dock units
from Scan.

The enclosures start at just £4, so it's not as if you're out of
pocket if you somehow manage to find the one model out of thousands
that won't work under Linux.