Downtown and Midtown Re: [OT] Hotel suggestions for downtown London

graham graham at theseamans.net
Sat Apr 28 12:21:41 BST 2007

John Costello wrote:

> I toured an open house last year (two stories) and was pleased to see that
> the owners had built shelves into the walls along the staircase.  The
> shelves were the right height for paperbacks.

This is a trap I've fallen into before - the assumption that there is a
'right height' for paperbacks. For some reason known only to publishers'
marketing departments, every couple of years there is a jump in the
height of paperbacks (not to mention the increase in thickness as they
go for ever fatter and coarser paper). So my nice custom shelves for
1990 paperbacks are useless for 2007 paperbacks..

What is an 'open house'? Is it like a free house, but with less booze
and a non-viral license?

Graham