[OT] perl and CLRs

Peter Hickman peter.hickman at semantico.com
Wed May 2 12:33:41 BST 2007

Nicholas Clark wrote:
>> Please keep your mindless bigotry to yourself. Just because I don't
>> think that .NET is anything special does not mean that I have that "sort
>> of attitude".
>>
>> Fuck off.
>>

> You thoroughly failed to read the next 2 paragraphs that made it clear what
> Dirk really feels. You may wish to do as you would be done by for a while.
>
> On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 10:07:26AM +0100, Dirk Koopman wrote:
>

>> Precisely the sort of attitude that worries me. Perl is *soooooooo* much
>> better than everything else (which may well be true) so that is all
>> there is to said. That's all right then.

I don't think that Perl is special, it is useful. I find it to be a very
useful tool for many problems, for other problems I use other languages.
I do not have a Perl is the only tool you need attitude and I resent
being labelled as such because I don't think that .NET is the next big
thing. So I stand by my Fuck off.

>> Problem is: we are leaking developers like a sieve, nothing like the
>> number of new users are coming in the perl fold than formerly (and the
>> number drops every year) and the perception that perl is a dead-end (or
>> plain dead) grows out there in the hive mind, at the same or greater rate.

And porting Perl to .NET will help? The real problem, and why we are
moving from Perl to Java here, is that Universities train people to be
at least competent in Java and therefore we can recruit staff. Perl
tends to be self taught and the number of people interested enough in
computing to teach themselves a language is much smaller than the demand
for programmers. Porting Perl to .NET will not change anything,
especially if they can play with something like Ruby which is available
on the JVM and .NET.

Languages die, get over it.

--
Peter Hickman.

Semantico, Lees House, 21-23 Dyke Road, Brighton BN1 3FE
t: 01273 722222
f: 01273 723232
e: peter.hickman at semantico.com
w: www.semantico.com