Bonkers

Nicholas Clark nick at ccl4.org
Fri May 4 14:32:39 BST 2007

On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 01:52:51PM +0100, Peter Corlett wrote:
> On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 12:55:07PM +0100, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> [...]
> > 1: There are (at least) 12 companies in and around London trying to
> > recruit developers with strong Perl skills
> > 2: I know of 5 people who are sufficiently dissatisfied with their current
> > job
> > 3: The recruitment agents are having kittens* because they can't find
> > anyone to interview for these jobs
>
> Well, I'm somewhat unimpressed with the current conditions at work and have
> been casting around, doing the odd interview.
>
> Often, I'm declining to even bother to interview once i've got the recruiter
> to cut the crap and tell me where the job is and how much they are offering.
> What seems to be on the table is longer hours, travel to the back end of
> beyond, and an effective paycut of about 10% once those are factored in.

Why are the recruiters even involved here?
[yes, I sort of know why - because other means didn't work, or because
firms don't want to handle advertising themselves. Or in once case because
the bloody company I worked for couldn't even make a job spec that I could
pass around, but instead just talked to pimps]

But I thought that I'd heard that the majority of jobs are never even
advertised - they're filled via word of mouth.
We don't have that in London right now for Perl jobs, and I don't remember
us ever having it. So why not? Why is everyone so scared of forwarding on
information?

> In all, it's a wholly unsastisfactory business for everybody concerned.

Yes, which is why I'd like to cut the middleman out. Eliminate pimps.
[or cull them drastically. Usually they serve no-one but themselves]
But no-one is helping.

Nicholas Clark