Bonkers

Richard Foley Richard.Foley at rfi.net
Sun May 6 10:52:13 BST 2007

On Sunday 06 May 2007 11:06, Marvin Humphrey wrote:

> The flip side is that you have to insist that team members spend no
> more than their allotted hours working, and strongly encourage people
> to "sleep on it" rather than work late.  People who maintain a good
> work-life balance can sustain high productivity for longer stretches
> and are more dedicated and loyal.

Indeed.

And as you inferred the team/project needs to be managed appropriately,
whatever that might precisely mean in each individual scenario.  Part of the
problem with telecommuting is that many managers don't trust themselves, or
don't have the skillset, and/or experience to manage even partially remote
teams.  It's a challenge for a manager and is a mindset change from how it's
"always been done", too, but can be very productive for all parties when done
right.  We all tend to put up with an awful lot of crap, in our daily lives,
(hour long commutes on suburban trains is one example), because that's what's
expected of us in conforming to the 'norm'.

A good work-life balance is something we should all strive for.

--
Richard Foley
Ciao - shorter than aufwiedersehen

http://www.rfi.net/

ps. Please resend any bounced or unanswered emails.