Dean Wilson dwilson at
Sun May 6 13:04:29 BST 2007

On Sun, May 06, 2007 at 01:09:45AM +0100, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> A peculiar tendency which I've never quite understood is people saying
> "$work" like somehow where they work is something they'd rather not
> reveal. Given this, it's not hard to see there's an at least equally
> sized superset of those who'd rather not/are edgy about recruiting for
> $work.

I've always felt uneasy about putting my employers name in an email to a
list I've been on through about five job changes now. I think people
associate what you say with where you work - which is both good and bad.
And considering how often a lot of us change jobs most people are wrong
about where I work at any current time. :)

Having staff that are active in the community and have an obvious amount
of clue is a good thing and can encourage CVs. Having a... "very strong
personality" that offends a number of people may prevent potential staff
from even looking at a job.

I also like the freedom to say what I want. It's not hard to find out
who I work for but you'd have to put 2 and 2 together on your own. I
don't go out of my way to associate my opinions with my employers name. I
don't agree with a lot of what they say and I seriously doubt they love
everything I type.

On the slightly more cynical side - most of my employers haven't paid me
to partake in the community, don't allocate time to it and put very little
back in. I don't feel the need to shout about them from the rooftops. I
will mention them when they do good things (sponsorship, release code etc.)
but then it's about what they've done, not about them paying my bills.

Dean Wilson
Profanity is the one language all programmers understand
  --- Anon