Bonkers

Dean Wilson dwilson at unixdaemon.net
Sun May 6 13:04:29 BST 2007

On Sun, May 06, 2007 at 01:09:45AM +0100, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> A peculiar tendency which I've never quite understood is people saying
> "$work" like somehow where they work is something they'd rather not
> reveal. Given this, it's not hard to see there's an at least equally
> sized superset of those who'd rather not/are edgy about recruiting for
> $work.

I've always felt uneasy about putting my employers name in an email to a
list I've been on through about five job changes now. I think people
associate what you say with where you work - which is both good and bad.
And considering how often a lot of us change jobs most people are wrong
about where I work at any current time. :)

Having staff that are active in the community and have an obvious amount
of clue is a good thing and can encourage CVs. Having a... "very strong
personality" that offends a number of people may prevent potential staff
from even looking at a job.

I also like the freedom to say what I want. It's not hard to find out
who I work for but you'd have to put 2 and 2 together on your own. I
don't go out of my way to associate my opinions with my employers name. I
don't agree with a lot of what they say and I seriously doubt they love
everything I type.

On the slightly more cynical side - most of my employers haven't paid me
to partake in the community, don't allocate time to it and put very little
back in. I don't feel the need to shout about them from the rooftops. I
will mention them when they do good things (sponsorship, release code etc.)
but then it's about what they've done, not about them paying my bills.

  Dean
--
Dean Wilson             http://www.unixdaemon.net
Profanity is the one language all programmers understand