Bonkers

Paul Makepeace paulm at paulm.com
Mon May 7 12:28:34 BST 2007

On 5/7/07, David Cantrell <david at cantrell.org.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, May 06, 2007 at 11:48:04PM +0100, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> > On 5/6/07, David Cantrell <david at cantrell.org.uk> wrote:
> > >Perhaps you could enlighten us as to what a "proper compensation
> > >package" is then.  Cos almost all the "perks" that I've been offered at
> > >all kinds of places have been worth nothing TO ME.
> > Unlimited (free) bacon sarnies?
>
> That doesn't show much regard for employees' waistlines :-)

Yeah, that is a problem - I was my heaviest ever this time last year.
Fortunately they built a gym...

> > Paying your motorcycle insurance?
>
> I don't ride a bike, but what on earth would a company want to pay for
> my car insurance for?  Sure, they could do it as a random freebie, but
> I'd rather have the money cos then I don't have to go to the hassle of
> explaining to the morons at the insurance company what the hell is going
> on.
>
> At which point you might as well roll it into the base salary.

(That is in fact exactly what happens for the transportation supplement.)

Re: Peter's comments - it's totally possible to reduce beneftits to a
numerical salary equivalent, and I suspect that's what many people do
when considering offers, especially if they're heavily cash-focussed.

I'll say one thing though on the food is that in my experience there's
a raft of non-financial equivalent benefits to ..not having to carry
loose change to pay for food, ..not have to have that continuous
background assessment "do I really want to spend 3.75 for $portion"
..not have to queue to pay (sweeet!) ..having decent food always
available ..not having to run to Benjy's/McD's/$local_shop (and
select, queue, pay). These little hassles and small-time cognitive
burdens are really great not to have any longer. And of course having
restaurant--not canteen--quality food is nice.

If I ever get around to having actual employees free food will be a
top priority as soon as the company can afford it. TBH, for me this is
such a great benefit I doubt I would consider working anywhere that
didn't offer it.