Bonkers

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Tue May 8 12:03:36 BST 2007

Toby Corkindale writes:

> I worked for company (Y) ... 2006-2007, and despite leaving them in
> April, had to fight to get my March salary, and they're still trying
> to hang onto further pay they owe me.

Oh dear; sorry to hear that, and good luck with getting it sorted.

Do you feel able to name Y, perhaps on the non-archived jobs-discuss
list, so that anybody else considering applying to them is aware of this
situation?

> Does anyone know if it's still possible to go through the court claims
> procedures without being resident at the time, or if one has to hire a
> lawyer to represent them?

I suspect if it goes to court then you'll have to actually be there.
The Small Claims Court (which is possibly appropriate in this situation)
discourages parties from getting lawyers involved.

But many would-be court cases get settled before reaching court; it may
be worth filling in the paperwork and starting proceedings in the hope
that that will make the missing money magically appear.

Smylers