Bonkers

Dean Wilson dwilson at unixdaemon.net
Wed May 9 14:11:29 BST 2007

On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 01:41:09PM +0100, Simon Wistow wrote:

First - a sweeping generalisation (based on my experience), big
companies like degrees, smaller companies like experience.

> So, what next? Now I don't tend to toss people without degrees out
> without thinking about it but all other things being equal I'll
> probably go for the person with the degree over one without.

I think a lot of companies do this as arse covering. They don't know what
they're looking for so they go for the boxes completed by others.

> I've got to make a choice somehow.

What's your view on technical certifications? Do they add to an applicant?
More or less than academic qualifications?

> Yes, it sucks. Yes you may be the better person for the job. Yes, it
> may show a cultural bias. I'll cope.

You're right in that it's a cultural thing. We prize people that are
like us and value the same things we do. If you have a degree you'll
appreciate what it cost to get it and this will be reflected in your
CV slicing.

I don't have a degree and I'm not interested in working for a company
that requires one. I don't feel bad about lacking one, I just consider it a
warning sign.

So if you're looking for a Linux/Unix guy in London who doesn't have a
degree let me know ;)

  Dean
--
Dean Wilson             http://www.unixdaemon.net
Profanity is the one language all programmers understand