[OT] perl and CLRs

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Wed May 9 14:55:16 BST 2007

On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 10:14:45AM +0100, Steve Sims wrote:
> On 7/5/07 15:35, "Matt S Trout" <dbix-class at trout.me.uk> wrote:
> > Unless of course you mean "something that calls itself MVC but puts all
> > the business logic in the so-called controller" or "something that calls
> > itself an ORM but considers non-auto-inc single-column keys and any feature
> > not provided my MySQL 4 'legacy'". They can keep those bits of rails, to
> > my mind.
>
> OK I'll bite.
>
> This, sir, is FUD.

I was aiming for hyperbole, but evidently overshot.

I was more trying to say that apart from the opinionation, there isn't
really a concept of 'rails-like' that library-ifies well.

> On your first point, it's up to individual programmers to ensure that
> business logic gets put where it belongs.  I've seen Catalyst applications
> (which calls itself MVC) where the business logic is in the so-called
> controller...  It is trivial to place business logic in Rails 'Model'
> components.  I would argue that this criticism is without merit.

You can write well-architected PHP too. You miss my point.

> Composite keys are also supported through a Ruby Gem:
> http://compositekeys.rubyforge.org/

They're a bolt-on. They weren't designed in from the ground up. Bitter
experience sayeth this is Not Good.

> I must admit I'm puzzled as to why the Rails folks are so keen on using
> MySQL, having gladly rid myself of that abomination some time ago.  There
> are of course drivers for Pg, SQLite, Oracle, etc.  I have seen nothing that
> implies to me they're limiting themselves to MySQL 4.

I said nothing that implied they were. I said 'the features of'. At least I've
not seen anybody from the rails camp saying foreign keys are unnecessary
for a bit and I think they finally realised that on a DB with a query planner
that does non-trivial work prepared statements are important.

It all still feels a bit toytown to me.

> In my day job I write DBIx::Class and Catalyst code.  I can see many ways in
> which DBIx::Class could be improved having been learning ActiveRecord.
> Migrations is a major concept in ActiveRecord that has no corollary in
> DBIx::Class, for instance...

http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?DBIx::Class::Schema::Versioned

will be in the next release, and we'll probably make it play a bit more like
the Jifty::DBI since/until stuff once we've got the core code sorted out.

Got an instance we -haven't- implemented yet? :)