Help me to be more biased towards Perl (or not)

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Fri May 11 09:33:03 BST 2007

On 11/05/07, Ian Docherty <londonperlmongers at iandocherty.com> wrote:
> My fear is that if the project is out-sourced I may be over-ruled by our
> directors who are impressed by flashy presentations from these external
> companies that have good reasons to develop this web application in
> either Java or dot-net (because that is what *they* are biased towards).
>
> Once the project is done I still have to think about supporting the
> resulting code-base.
>
> So, should I be concerned? Are there good arguments either for or
> against Perl? I know most people here will be biased towards Perl but
> are there any objective arguments I can use?

Yes, you should be concerned  --
If you don't know Java you really don't want to be supporting it - a 1
week course isn't going to be enough for you to get beyond fixing very
trivial problems and changes - and maintaining legacy Java of a low
standard without very good knowledge of Java style, practices, etc
would be very unpleasent.

If you could produce a shortlist of agencies that can produce
something that you can support, that would be good - just make usage
of Perl that you're fairly familiar or happy with a requirement and
you should be able to get 3 or 4 consultancies able to come forward
and they'll probably be cheaper than the 'enterprise java' shops.

A.

--
http://www.aarontrevena.co.uk