Help me to be more biased towards Perl (or not)

Matt S Trout dbix-class at
Fri May 11 10:41:11 BST 2007

On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 09:51:01AM +0100, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> [Assumption here being that it's easier to cross from PHP to Perl than from
> PHP to Java. But you'll need to find slightly more than my zero facts to
> back this up]

We trained a smart PHP guy from minimal perl up to competency very easily;
within about four weeks he was steaming along with Cat/DBIC/TT and assorted
CPAN modules he dragged in, pausing only to cry about only needing 1/10 as
much code now and wondering why he'd wasted so much time re-inventing wheels
before due to being stuck with a lossy language.

Sadly, he's now mostly only doing HTML/CSS stuff for us because he's getting
organised to go back into academentia to play with lasers, but the "four weeks"
and "1/10 SLOC" figures may be of use to you - you now have zero facts and
one anecdote :)

 Shadowcat Systems Ltd.  Contact mst (at) for a quote