Bonkers

Peter Hickman peter.hickman at semantico.com
Fri May 11 13:16:58 BST 2007

Eduard Giménez wrote:

>> Why would a Perl programmer be familiar with the concepts of
>> 'stack' and 'heap'? You could come up with some slightly-off
>> analogy involving scope, but stil...
>>

> A) Because they are two *basic* data structures.
> B) Because a programmer should understand how the machine works underneath
> all the abstraction layers.
>
> Eduard Giménez
>  CAPSiDE
> Systems Engineer
> egimenez at capside.com
> Phone 902 877 803

I'm sure that I wouldn't want to put too much store in how that question
was answered. Just imagine the following line "Geeze. Did you hear that
guy. Doesn't know what the heap was used for. All those web development
skills and he doesn't know what a heap is used for. Looser". How would
you feel if you were turned down for a Perl job because you didn't know
what a Java pure virtual constructor was (should such a thing exist).
Such questions would seem to be a poor indicator of the applicants
ability and would probably result in employing clones of yourself - very
unhealthy.

However I would say to be wary of programmers who have only have
exposure to one language (especially if they have many years of
experience) or who trash talk other languages.

--
Peter Hickman.

Semantico, Lees House, 21-23 Dyke Road, Brighton BN1 3FE
t: 01273 722222
f: 01273 723232
e: peter.hickman at semantico.com
w: www.semantico.com